Last night, I decided to try a spin off of the traditional chicken cordon bleu and made a Dijon cream sauce to accompany it. It was really good, but is not the flavor you expect when you think of chicken cordon bleu. I paired it with feta roasted carrots, which were amazing. Try them yourself and let me know what you think! Do you have a chicken cordon bleu recipe you like? Share it in the comments!
Chicken Cordon Bleu with Dijon Cream Sauce
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 45 min
Servings: 2 servings
- Panko breadcrumbs – 1/2 cup for Shortcut Method or 1 cup for Dredging Method
- 2 small chicken breasts, around 6-7oz
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 4 to 6 slices of ham, about 2.5oz
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise, preferably whole egg
- 1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour (I used 2 tbsp because it was a little too thin with 1-1/2 tbsp)
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 tsp thyme leaves (optional)
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
Spread panko breadcrumbs on a baking tray and spray with oil. Bake for 3 minutes or until light golden. Remove and scrape into bowl straight away.
Cut a pocket into each chicken breast, as per the photo below.
Fold the cheese in half and place 2 pieces inside each pocket. Do the same with the ham. Close the pocket, seal with toothpicks.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Whisk egg and flour. Dip chicken into egg mixture, then into the panko breadcrumbs. Transfer to tray, spray with oil.
Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl. Spread onto the top and sides of the chicken (not underside).
Sprinkle panko over the chicken, using your other hand to press the breadcrumbs onto the side of the chicken. Spray with oil.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and just cooked through. Rest for 5 minutes before serving with the Dijon Cream Sauce.
Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add flour and cook for 1 1/2 minutes.
Add half the milk and whisk until the flour mixture is blended in.
Add remaining milk, mustard and cheese. Cook for 3 minutes, whisking constantly, until thickened. It will thicken as it cools.
Remove from heat, stir through thyme leaves and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chicken.
Feta Roasted Carrots
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 40 min
Servings: 4 servings
Author: Tara Noland
- 10-12 large carrots, diagonally crinkle cut or plain
- 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup feta, crumbled
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Toss carrots with oil on a rimmed baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 25-30 min. or until caramelized and tender. Tossing at about the 20 min. mark.
- Place hot carrots in a bowl and top with feta and garnish with chopped parsley.